Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Joining Different Sized Granny Shapes

I'm currently working on two granny rectangle blankets - one for my mom, and one for my MIL. I'm having fun doing it, and I found a great tutorial here. However, just going round and round, I've found these blankets are getting a bit too bulky to work on anywhere other than my couch, so I had a brilliant idea of surrounding them with smaller granny squares. Smart, right? Being able to churn out small squares anywhere, I could see myself finishing both these blankets within a month! (I could finish sooner - but I'm a mom, remember?)

This is where one ended up, before adding squares:
I know - if you look hard enough on the right edge, I did
actually add squares before taking this picture. Sorry!
I forgot to take the picture before.

My method was simple in theory: count up the bunches of three, and find the lowest common denominator. Problem? My blanket was 34 x 39. I will honestly say I spent about twenty minutes trying to figure out how to surround it with squares, until I figured out that adding another round would bring it up to a nice 35 x 40, which is much easier! So I got to work, making granny squares with five bunches on each side.

Now came time to attach them. I started off putting seven on each of the smaller sides, just connecting in each of the stitches of the bunches. Simple enough.

Simple connecting, just joining the stitches in the bunches.
View from the top - Notice the last round on the rectangle
is the steel blue? That's the color I chose to join the squares!

 To be continued ....



No comments:

Post a Comment