Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wooden Shelves


I know, I said I'd follow up on my end table and rectangle blanket projects, but I was so excited to start this one I just had to share!
My wonderful husband hit up a garage sale last weekend, and managed to snag me a shelving unit and another end table - for just $1 each! The only thing better than that is free! Luckily, the shelves were unvarnished and unpainted, and already sanded, so all I have to do is paint! (That's the fun part!)                           
                               


So, after work today, I managed to get to Lowe's and find not one, but two paint samples for just - you guessed it - $1 each! So, this project has a grand total of $3 into it now - can't beat that. 


My first step was to paint the sides and front edges the lovely green. Simply used a small foam brush and used long strokes, with the grain, of course!



 The great thing about this paint? It's also primer! And such a lovely color. Even though my original idea for these shelves was a pastel yellow, I think the  green and dark pink will be a great combination. Remind you of a watermelon?

So, after the green was all dry, I went ahead and (carefully!) added the pink on the inside.


Apparently, a wee bit darker and purple-ier than I was expecting...so it looks like Barney.


Anyways, all the painting is done, all that's left is waiting for it to dry!
My husband thinks I should add some swirls or other shapes on the outside; I'm not convinced. Mostly because of my not-so-steady hand!
Overall, this project was really easy. I was able to do all the painting in under an hour! Mostly because I did just one coat - I might have to go back and add a topcoat.

Time: 1 hour
Cost: $3
Difficulty level: 1/5 - beginner

No comments:

Post a Comment